The Senior Business & Legal Research Analyst, reporting to the Director of Knowledge Services, will provide expert legal and business research for the firm’s attorneys, paralegals, and administrative department. The person in the position must demonstrate initiative, a desire to learn new skills, be intellectually curious, and be willing to take ownership of projects. The successful candidate will have an initiative-taking approach to the provision of research services.
This position can be located in the following cities in which Kutak Rock has an office: Atlanta, GA; Denver, CO; Little Rock, AR: Minneapolis, MN; Omaha, NE; Philadelphia, PA; Richmond, VA; Scottsdale, AZ; Spokane, WA; and Washington, D.C.
– Provide expert legal and business research assistance to the attorneys, paralegals, and administrative staff in a timely and efficient manner
– Maintain expert-level knowledge of internal resources and systems to enhance research deliverables
– Conduct in-depth research and analysis of companies, practice areas, geographic markets, and competitor law firms using a variety of online research tools, including data analysis of business and legal information and when needed the mining of raw data from dockets and other research databases
– Provide analysis and synthesis of research results and meaningful data visualization in the final work product
– Advise attorneys and paralegals on research strategy and resource selection to ensure research is accurate and conducted in the most efficient and cost-effective manner
– Handle Rule 506 Bad Actor research requests and provide an appropriate memorandum of searches and search findings
– Perform cite & quote checks of memorandums and briefs
– Contribute to the development and maintenance of intranet pages for Research Services, practice areas, and other administrative departments
– Manage current awareness alerts and track potential and current clients in multiple target markets and industries
– Assist in the development of training resources and training programs for attorneys and paralegals
– Participate in the ongoing evaluation of new research resources and processes
– Record and report research projects and time using InTapp and SydneyEnterprise in a manner that meets deadlines and provides meaningful ROI metrics
– Maintain library related resources if located in an office with a print collection
– Other projects as assigned by the Director of Knowledge Services
QUALIFICATIONS: Skills & Abilities
– Ability to manage multiple tasks, prioritize and complete projects within provided time limit
– Working knowledge of an integrated library system (e.g., SydneyEnterprise)
– Proficiency in a variety of research and analytics databases including Westlaw Edge or Westlaw Precision, Westlaw Litigation Analytics, including prior experience with Monitor Suite, Hoovers, Mergent, VitalLaw, Law.com Compass and PACER
– Strong analytical skills
– Intermediate to advanced skills using Microsoft Excel pivot tables and pivot charts to create dashboards
– Experience creating, maintaining, and publishing content to an intranet
– Good judgment in deciding the most appropriate resources to use for cost-effective research
– Clear, concise, and effective verbal and written communication skills
– Proven success as a service-oriented, initiative-taking, adaptable, responsible, and meticulous individual
– Ability to work independently and collaboratively, often with team members in other offices and/or time zones
– Willingness to assist with various administrative duties and projects as necessary
– Ability to regularly report to work on days and times scheduled
QUALIFICATIONS: Education & Experience
– Master of Library and Information Science (MLIS) or combination of Bachelor’s degree and certificate of paralegal studies
– 5+ years of experience in a law firm, academic or special library; law firm experience preferred
– Considerable experience conducting in-depth research and analysis of companies, practice areas, geographic markets, and competitor law firms
– Prior use of legal data analytics products, including Law.com Compass
Salary Range: $70,000 – $85,000, commensurate with experience and work location
Position Status: Exempt
Workplace Type: Hybrid
Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, Dependent Life, Disability, and Accidental Death & Dismemberment insurance. Flexible Spending Plan. Health Savings Account. Fertility coverage assistance. Profit-Sharing and 401(k) Retirement benefits. Discretionary bonuses. Nine Paid Holidays per calendar year. Nine hours of paid time off accrued each month. Bereavement, jury duty, military leave. Employee Assistance Program. Tuition Reimbursement. Employee referral program. Back-Up Care. Domestic Partner Benefits. Commuting Benefits. Some of the foregoing benefits include Employer/Employee cost sharing.
Any offer of employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check.
Qualified applicants with criminal histories will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance (FCIHO).
About the Firm
Kutak Rock was formed in 1965 with a commitment to exceptional client service delivered with a collaborative, team-focused approach. Our founding charter commits the firm to “allow and encourage each individual within it to be a full person,” and we strive to offer an exceptional professional environment, intellectually challenging and engaging work in multiple disciplines, competitive compensation and benefits, opportunities for training and career development. We are a leading national law firm with locations in 19 cities united by our common commitment to our core values of client service; integrity and fairness; innovation; and inclusiveness and diversity.
We are dedicated to the maintenance of a respectful, collegial, communicative, and equal opportunity workplace that encourages and rewards innovation and entrepreneurship. We measure our success not just on the basis of our revenues or our profits, but by the satisfaction we deliver for our clients and the health, engagement and loyalty of our people.
Kutak Rock LLP is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer committed to sustaining a culturally and ethnically diverse working environment and to principles that promote inclusive practices. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, age, marital status, domestic partner status, pregnancy, caregiver status, gender stereotyping, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, AIDS/HIV status, handicap or disability, or status as a Vietnam era or special disabled veteran, or any other legally protected category. The firm will provide reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans’ Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. Applicants requiring accommodation in the job application process should contact the Human Resources Department at 402-231-8899 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.