Brownstein Hyatt Farber Schreck, a Denver based law firm of 250+ attorneys, is seeking a Business Development Research Specialist who holds their Masters degree in Library and Information Science and has experience from within a legal environment. This role is responsible for researching and monitoring a wide variety of resources for the purposes of identifying potential business opportunities with clients and prospective clients, analyzing related matters using information research tools, and providing strategic and analytical support to identify business development opportunities and strengthen client relationships.
The Business Development Research Specialist will provide competitive intelligence research and analysis service for all research requests emanating from the Marketing Department, including both the Business Development and the Communications groups. The successful candidate will respond to direct requests from attorneys and policy advisors relating to business development projects and will assist library staff with business research. The incumbent will report to the Senior Director of Marketing & Business Development and will be based in Denver.
- Conduct competitive intelligence, business strategy and in-depth business development research on targeted prospect companies, individuals and industries, using both external and internal databases and human sources.
- Synthesize research findings in support of the firm’s business development initiatives and ensure the information is packaged in crisp, clear and compelling deliverables
- Provide proactive monitoring and alerting using a variety of sources to identify potential prospects and trends in industries and customer segments of interest to the firm.
- Stay educated and current in the use of the most relevant and appropriate proprietary databases that directly relate to targeted research initiatives
- Provide regular status reports on competitive intelligence research activities and accomplishments to various stakeholders
- Work with senior lateral hires and business development managers to set up competitive intelligence initiatives to support new practices
- Collaborate with co-workers on projects such as developing an internal business development database, encouraging cross-selling among attorneys and policy advisors, and planning events and communications campaigns
- Additional responsibilities as assigned
- Ability to keep up with new competitive intelligence materials, changes in resources and techniques, and shifts in information demands
- Resourcefulness in obtaining needed materials and information
- Excellent interpersonal, presentation and competitive intelligence communication skills; ability to work constructively, efficiently, and proactively with attorneys and policy advisors, who have limited time for business development
- Ability to analyze company information and data within the context of the firm’s expertise and business development plans
- Ability to research and organize data in a concise manner and keep abreast of industries, global economic information, legal and geopolitical trends
- Ability to consistently provide high-quality business development and competitive intelligence research service to a large group of demanding users in a fast-paced business environment.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
- MLIS required; JD and/or MBA preferred.
- Minimum of five years of substantive research experience in a professional services firm or corporate library, with at least one year focusing on competitive intelligence and analysis
- Knowledge of the legal services industry required; marketing and/or business development experience preferred
- Proven ability to organize and manage a diverse range of business development and competitive intelligence projects and prioritize multiple tasks and projects
- Advanced online research skills and knowledge of electronic and print business resources
- Knowledge and experience conducting research using tools such as Lexis Advance, Capital IQ, MarketLine, MonitorSuite, Business Development Premier/ContactNet, LinkedIn, Leopard List, and other public and proprietary databases
- Strong written communication skills and ability to analyze and present complex information
- Ability to work effectively in a culturally and educationally diverse environment
Please send cover letter & resume to Colleen Wheeler, Staff Recruiting Manager, at CWheeler@bhfs.com