With over 1,400 lawyers in 31 offices across North America, Europe, the Middle East and Asia, Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner LLP is a fully integrated global law firm that provides clients with connected legal advice, wherever and whenever they need it. The firm is known for its relationship-driven, collaborative culture, diverse legal experience and industry-shaping innovation and offers clients one of the most active M&A, real estate, financial services, litigation and corporate risk practices in the world.
We are looking for a Research Librarian based in Washington, DC, New York, Atlanta, St. Louis, Chicago, Kansas City or Denver, who shares a passion for research, innovation and excellent customer service who can provide a wide variety of research and related services to lawyers and staff locally and globally as needed. This position participates in the training of lawyers and paralegals on the use of research resources, including new technologies and/or upgraded versions of existing services. The Research Librarian is also part of a global research team and participates in firmwide calls and projects with a dedicated and supportive Library and Research Services team. Some travel to support other offices may be required.
• Provide in-depth as well as quick reference legal and business research support to lawyers, staff and clients locally and globally through an appropriate combination of traditional resources and emerging technologies
• Monitor and respond to a wide variety of research requests utilizing a reference request database and coordinate this effort with other global research team members.
• Participate in planning and implementation of training programs for lawyers and staff to promote the effective use of library resources as needed.
• Participate in Firmwide teleconferences and project with global library and research services team as scheduled.
• Participate as a team member on select projects and initiatives as assigned.
• Participate in pilots of prospective research resources and provide meaningful feedback.
• May require travel to unstaffed offices in NY and DC to support research needs, promote library and research services functions and build relationships in that office.
• Stay current on research technologies by keeping up with professional literature.
• Utilize interlibrary loan and document retrieval services as needed.
• Take responsibility for various administrative tasks as needed.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Essential Job Specifications/Qualifications
• Demonstrated interpersonal skills and the ability and commitment to interact effectively and professionally with a diverse clientele.
• Ability to manage multiple tasks and prioritize and complete projects rapidly and efficiently, yet thoroughly.
• Demonstrated expertise in legal and corporate research techniques using both print and electronic resources.
• Proven proficiency in research databases, including but not limited to Lexis Advance, Westlaw, Bloomberg Law, Cheetah and a variety of specialty research resources.
• Demonstrated customer service orientation and proactive creative approach to marketing library and research services.
• Clear, concise and effective verbal and written communication skills, including demonstrated ability to present to individuals and groups.
• Ability to work independently and collaboratively, often with team members in other offices.
• Proven success as a service-oriented, proactive, flexible, adaptable, responsible and detail-oriented individual in prior position(s).
• Proven experience with automated library systems preferred.
• Requires the ability to work hours that support the Eastern Time Zone.
• Master’s degree in Library and Information Science or equivalent.
• Minimum two years law library experience, preferably in a law firm setting.
• Will consider recent MLIS graduates, with relevant skill sets.
If interested, please click HERE to apply.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the incumbent in the position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills of the employee. Duties and responsibilities may change at any time with or without notice.