The William A. Wise Law Library is seeking to fill the position of Associate Director and Head of Technical Services. We are looking for someone with a blend of emotional intelligence and technical expertise. Please let anyone who might be interested know of this opportunity to move to a dynamic and innovative library in a breathtakingly beautiful location. The full job description follows:
Associate Director and Head of Technical Services
The University of Colorado Law School’s William A. Wise Law Library is seeking an innovative, enthusiastic, and service-driven individual to serve as the Associate Director and Head of Technical Services, to help us in shaping services and collections for 21st century learners, educators, and scholars. The Wise Law Library is a state-of-the-art facility that houses the largest collection of legal materials in Colorado. The Law Library supports the vision of the law school: A supportive and diverse community of scholars and students in a place that inspires vigorous pursuit of ideas, critical analysis, and civic engagement in order to advance the rule of law in an open, sustainable society.
The Associate Director and Head of Technical Services reports to the Director of the Law Library. The position is a faculty position within the law school, at the instructor or senior instructor level. The successful candidate will provide administrative assistance to the Director and administer the Technical Services Department.
Job Duties Include:
- Maintaining systematic and effective communication with all Law Library Departments;
- Along with other Department Heads, assisting the Director in management decisions, including developing and implementing goals, policies, and budgets;
- Collecting data and preparing requested yearly reports for the Law Library and the Law School;
- Advising the Director on physical plant needs and planning;
- Coordinating procedures and paperwork for all personnel actions;
- Planning, developing, coordinating, overseeing, and participating in the technical services functions of the law library, including acquisitions, cataloging and metadata services, and serials and e-resource management. This includes setting new policies, procedures, and workflows, as well as regular evaluation of the effectiveness of such services.
- Supervising the law library staff dedicated to technical services. This currently includes direct supervision of a Metadata Services Librarian, an Acquisitions and Research Librarian, and a Serials and Acquisitions Technician, and indirect supervision of those reporting to those positions;
- Overseeing the current Integrated Library System (Millennium), including recommending and implementing changes, ensuring accurate bibliographic control;
- Leading the law library’s transition to a next-generation library management system, as either an University-wide or a CU system-wide implementation;
- Serving on relevant University- and unit-level committees;
- Serving on local and national committees relevant to job performance; and
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Excellent communication skills;
- High emotional intelligence;
- Strong service commitment;
- Ability to work within a team environment;
- Knowledge of original and copy cataloging and bibliographic maintenance;
- Knowledge of recent developments and emerging trends in library technical service;
- Strong analytical/problem solving skills pertaining to the organization and accessibility of legal information;
- Supervisory skills;
- Attention to detail, timeliness, and dependability; and
- Highly proficient knowledge of American legal research tools.
Required Education and/or Experience:
- Master of Library Science degree from ALA-accredited school
- Five years of law library experience
- Juris Doctor degree from an ABA-accredited school;
- More than five years of law library experience;
- Familiarity with relevant computer applications (esp. Millennium, LibGuides, Microsoft Office)
Salary Ranges: Salary commensurate with experience. Colorado Law offers an excellent benefits package. For more information, see https://www.colorado.edu/jobs/benefits.
Application Procedure: Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume and a list of three references to Susan Nevelow Mart at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications should be submitted prior to June 15, 2019; the application period will remain open until the position is filled.